Getting Ziggy




It's new pattern time!!

I'm quite excited about this one.  More excited than scared this time I think, as I'm really intrigued to see what you think of this one.  I do think it's a little bit different from my usual sort of thing but you know how it is when the yarn speaks to you... You've got to listen to the yarn folks.  

I'm not sure that I've ever spoken about this particular shawl here on the blog.  It's one I think I've only mentioned on the podcast for some unknown reason but I'm glad to be able to show you it now at least.

I got the yarn for this ziggity zagging shawl on my trip to Loop with Sam.  (Worth checking out that last link for my 'how much did I just spend on yarn?' face by the way.)  That was back in March last year and although I wasn't sure straight away exactly what it should be become, this shawl was definitely influenced by the two strongly contrasting shades of this gorgeous Eden Cottage yarn that I picked out.  


I'd been mulling over the idea of a zig zagging type of scarf or shawl but for some reason I have got it fixed in my head that I wanted it to grow from the side and not from the top down as is more usual for shawls.  Which was all very well and good but then I had to find out a way to make that work.

It could have been a bit of a disaster but somehow I came up with a way to make it work that I was really quite pleased with.  That was one problem solved.  The next was to see if I could ever, ever, managed to get it down in writing it a way that anyone else might have a hope of following.

To be honest, there were times when I thought that I probably shouldn't even be attempting it, but I was massively encouraged by some of you lovely lot.  I got some sweet messages from some of you about this shawl of wonky stripes and many of you were eager to give it a try, despite my worries that it might be a bit of a tricky customer.  So I decided to give it a go and get it tested...



And, very happily, it seems to be a success!  Yay! (And phew.)

To give you fair warning, I don't think I can call it an easy pattern.  I've actually rated it as 'advanced' as there are a few customised stitches and some different techniques in there that you wouldn't necessarily come across in the course most day to day crochet.  But having said that, my testers worked through it incredibly smoothly and most of them thought that with the help I've included in the pattern, most intermediate crocheters up for the challenge should be able to give it a go.

Like many patterns, it is only the first couple of sequences where things are getting established that cause us concern, and when those are completed once, it is so much easier the second and third time around.  That's the way it is with this pattern too.

If you think you want to give it a go, I do hope you'll enjoy it, I must admit this is one I'm actually excited to make again myself.  I love my striking contrasts but I really want to try a second, soft and subtle version too.  I was also most inspired by the projects made by my testers, it's so exciting to see the different yarns and colour combinations that get chosen and then enjoy those coming to life too.

Which reminds me of course, that I must also give a very big and huge

THANK YOU!

...to all my lovely Ravelry testers, who provided great feedback and made some beautiful projects.

As usual, I'll do my little introductory discount for you, so if you think it's something you might like to have a go at, then get the pattern now and you can save 20%....





   GETTING   ZIGGY   SHAWL  

For more pattern details...

Getting Ziggy Shawl Pattern

US and UK versions available


I'd love to see how your 'Getting Ziggy' turns out, so please feel free to share...

In my Ravelry Group:

Cherry Heart's Cozy Corner

or around the web:

#gettingziggyshawl

S x




SUBSCRIBE:

   



Comments